Friday 23 December 2011

Casting Adrift

 I was walking along a windy beach listening to Elvis Costello:

Life is dark
Cold as the sea
Embrace me in my anguish
Put seaweed in my hair 

and vow that you won't cry because
I've gone 



I have walked along there so many times and perhaps I will walk there forever. And while I was walking, I revisited a thought that I have had so many times recently. That is I think you know me now as well as you ever will.

On those hot summer days you will know that I still yearn for the cooling sea; to cast off my clothes and throw myself into the waves.

On these colder winter days you will know that I will be brewing my coffee over a driftwood-fired stove.

I am starting to repeat myself. I feel that I have nothing new to say. I think that this will be the last message that I will send from this shore.

Remember me fondly. I will still be here; a man of simple pleasures and modest expectations.

I will never ever forget you.







No comments:

Post a Comment